About the passage
A. Read to understand
1. State whether the following statements are true (T) or false (F).
a) Black Beauty’s new owner was good to him, much like his previous owner.
b) Jakes was unaware that the foreman had doubled Black Beauty’s load.
c) The lady believed that pain did not have the same effect upon animals and humans.
d) Jakes agreed that the lady’s suggestion was quite sensible.
2. Answer the following questions.
a) What two things made it difficult for Black Beauty to pull the load?
b) Who came to Black Beauty’s rescue when he was being flogged by Jakes? What advice did the person give Jakes?
c) ‘….. you do not give him a fair chance’
i. Who said this and to whom?
ii. Why did the speaker feel that a ‘fair chance’ was not given?
iii. What happened once a ‘fair chance’ was given?
d) ‘….. for he was just going to hitch it up again.’
i. Who does ‘he’ refer to here?
ii. What was ‘he’ going to ‘hitch up again’?
iii. Why did he want to do so?
e) ‘Is it not better to lead a good fashion than to follow a bad one?’
i. What is the ‘bad fashion’ referred to here?
ii. What is the ‘good fashion’ recommended?
B. Read to infer
A fact is a statement of truth, which does not change. An opinion is a statement of feelings, which changes with how a person feels.
1. State whether the following statements are facts (F) or opinions (O). Support the facts with evidence from the next.
a) Jakes was sensible, but the foreman overruled him.
b) I often had to pull a heavier load than I should.
c) Jakes always put the check-rein on, which prevented me from pulling easily.
d) I am sure that he is doing his best.
e) I am sure he is a fine-tempered creature, and I dare say has known better days.
2. Answer these questions.
a) Why had the foreman doubled the weight? What was ironical about it? (A situation is ironical when exactly the opposite of what is intended or expected happens.)
b) Do you think encouragement is a better motivation than punishment? Give reasons for your answer based on the story.
c) ‘We have no right to distress any of God’s creatures’. Discuss this statement.
d) At the beginning of the passage, you read that ‘Jakes was sensible’. In the light of what happened later, would you still agree with the statement? Give a reasoned answer.
1. What possible reasons could have forced Jerry to sell Black Beauty to the corn dealer? Share your guesses with your partner.
2. ‘Oh, how it hurt! It hurt more because I knew I was doing my best.’ Does this stand true for human beings also? Have you ever felt the same way? Share your experience.
3. Would you agree with the statement,” The treatment animals receive affects their behaviour’? Share any experiences that you have witnessed in this regard with your class.
4. What words would you use to describe the lady? Think of at least five qualities and the share them with your partner.