A Spaceship Landed over There
About the poem
A. Read to understand
1. Answer these questions.
1. What did the poet and his friend search for inside the spaceship?
Ans. The poet and his friend searched for the little men inside the spaceship.
2. What happened the moment the poet sat in the pilot’s seat?
Ans. When the poet sat in the pilot’s seat, a voice came, “Early earthman” and then a glass dome dropped around.
3. What do you think were the poet’s feelings when a glass dome dropped around him? What calmed him later?
Ans. The poet got scared when the dome dropped around. A high pitched sound calmed him later.
4. Where was the poet’s friend, the vet, ‘stashed’? Can you guess the reason why?
Ans. The poet’s friend vet was stashed in a cage. This happened because device identified him as strange creature because of the strange smell coming from his body.
5. Identify lines from the poem that suggest the spaceship was automatically controlled.
Ans. The lines from the poem that suggested the spaceship was automatically controlled.
A voice said, ‘Early earthman’ then
Some gizmo stashed him in a cage
We travelled fast through the space and time
Inoculate then ‘Yes’ or ‘No’
1. Do you think the poet and the vet were good friends? Give a reason for your answer.
Ans. Yes, they were good friends because the Vet was only person who believed the poet and went along with him in the dark night to see the spaceship.
2. What do you think had happened to the vet?
Ans. Vet was injected though he never suffered from cold in years but sometimes late at night. After being injected he swung through trees.
C. Read to appreciate
Read these lines from the poem.
- We searched and searched inside
- A voice said, ‘Early earthman’ then
In each line, the highlighted words begin with the same sound. This repetition of sound at the beginning of words placed close to each other is called alliteration. Poets use alliteration to give a musical quality to their poems.
Find more examples of alliteration in the poem.
- I smiled as I selected ‘Yes’