Ans. Costa Rican Approach
i. Costa Rica is considered to be one of the healthiest countries in South America. The main reason for this can be found in the Costa Rican Constitution.
ii. Several years ago, Costa Rica took a very important decision and decided not to have an army. This helped the Costa Rican government to spend the money that the army would have used, on health, education and other basic needs of the people.
iii. The Costa Rican government believes that a country has to be healthy for its development and pays a lot of attention to the health of its people.
iv. The Costa Rican government provides basic services and amenities to all Costa Ricans. Health education is also considered very important and knowledge about health is an essential part of education at all levels.
Ans. Difference between public health services and private health services
Public health services
Private health services
1. The public health service is a chain of health centres and hospitals run by the government.
1. Private health facilities are not owned or controlled by the government.
2. It is meant to provide quality health care services either free or at a low cost, so that even the poor can seek treatment.
2. These services are run for profit; the cost of these services is rather high.
3. Public health services in rural as well as in urban areas.
3. Private health services are concentrated mainly in urban areas.
4. Patients usually have to wait in long queues in public hospitals.
4. People do not face such problem in private hospitals.
Ans. We should pay taxes to the government because
i. Government uses tax money for providing many public services such as such as defence, police, judicial system, highways etc.for the benefit of all citizens.
ii. Taxes fund developmental programmes and services such as education, health care, employment, social welfare, vocational training etc. required for needy citizens.
iii. Tax money is utilised for relief and rehabilitation in case of natural disasters.
iv. Space, nuclear, and missile programmes are also funded from the revenues collected as taxes.
v. Government provides some services especially for the poor who cannot afford to purchase them from the market.
Download to practice offline.